Nazim Hikmet - 'Living is No Laughing Matter'
- DOCUMENTARY ON
THE LIFE OF THE GREAT TURKISH POET NAZIM HIKMET
- LENGTH: 86 MIN.
- SHOT IN 16 MM FILM AND VIDEO IN TURKEY, RUSSIA, FRANCE, U.S. and U.K.
"The best documentary about Nazim. Very thoughtful, very artistic -
an imaginative choice of poems, music and photographs. I watched in awe."
--Saime Göksu, author
"The Romantic Communist: The Life and Work of Nazim Hikmet"
"A must-see for all lovers of Hikmet, and a great introduction
for those who do not yet know his works. There are valuable
interviews with the people closest to him. The images used
with his famous poem "On Living" nearly brought me to tears."
--Marco Syrayama de Pinto
Translator of Nazim Hikmet into Brazilian Portuguese
(1902-1963) was one of the leading international poets of the 20th century and one of Turkey's most gifted writers.
Yet the Turkish government for decades refused to recognize him, and only recently has
allowed his poetry to be taught in schools. That is because he was also one of the first
prisoners of conscience in Turkey, jailed for nearly two decades for his political beliefs.
His only weapon ...
Pete Seeger, who wrote a Sixties hit based on a Nazim poem
Howard Fast, who protested the poet's incarceration before Fast himself was sent to prison by HUAC in the U.S.
Samiye Coskun, sister
Mehmet Fuat, stepson
Vera Toulyakova, last wife
Guzin Dino, close friend
Ibrahim Balaban, fellow inmate
And several other friends, family and artists
- Producer, Writer and Director - Stephanie Capparell
- Writer, Director - Niyazi Dalyanci
- Editors - John Mullen, Michiel Pilgram, Ruth Schell
- Camera - Hasan Gergin, Jonathon Slon, Cihat Taskin
- Original Score - Can Sanibelli
- Sound - Ismail Karadas, Penny Craven
- Academic Advisers - Prof. Randy Blasing, Prof.Richard Bulliet